Sunday, June 11, 2006

Day 3...

3 down, 27 to go. Are we having fun yet? I am, for the most poart, but w/ the exception of the Mexico/Iran game, the rest of today's action lacked exactly that...action... hold on just a second.

Holy Crap!!! Did you just see that goal by Christian Gomez? Oh...My...God!!!! Go ahead and end "goal of the Year" voting, folks, Gomez just won it. Wow! That little flick to himself and then a half volley from 25 yards out to beat Kevin Hartman. I'm glad I can see the reflection of the tv off the mirror down here in the basement...That was actually better than Razov's strike Thursday for Chivas...anyway, back to the Cup.

As I was saying, it seems that all the teams who got early leads this weekend (save for Argentina), England, Holland, and Portugal, seemed to relax and play much more cautiously. Granted, I understand that defense comes first, but these are three teams w/ loads of attacking talent who got away from their game and kept the other teams in the game. Angola never really threatened against Portugal, whom after the first 5 minutes, I thought would win going away. However, Paraguay and Serbia and Montenegro both made things a little more interesting than necessary as Holland and England didn't put them away. They'll pay against better teams, so they need to work on their killer instinct. And some of the Holland players complained afterward about Robben not passing the ball? Heck, he was the only guy who looked like he wanted to win, and was easily the best player on the field. Forget 'em, Arjen, keep doing what you're doing and Jose Mourinho will have no choice but to start you for Chelsea in the fall.

Mexico has no such worries. After going up 2-1 on Iran, they immediately went for the throat, got the 3rd goal, and cruised on home. I like their chances to win the group now, as they have a +2 goal diff and will play the weakest team in the group, Angola, in the next match. Portugal might have a tough time against and Iranian team that played better than I thought they would. Oh, yeah, Lavolpe's a genius now in Mexico, and Zinha's a native-born son. Interesting how things change in 24 hours, huh? They've got to be holding their breath on Borgetti's injury, though.

As for tomorrow's game, I just don't know. I've gone through the ringer w/ the U.S. I've gone from them winning 2-1, tying 2-2, and losing 2-0 all within the last day. Folks, if you're loking for a prediction, I can't give you one, because I honestly have no idea what's going to happen. I'll get no sleep tonight, and regardless of the outcome tomorrow, no sleep then either. There's a part of me that's glad this thing is only once every 4 years. I don't think I, nor my wife, could handle it.

Okay, back to the DC United game. Go U.S.A.!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home