Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Predictions, Predictions

I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to get World Cup predictions from as many people as possible, and from as wide of a variety as possible. As a result, I've got fearless forecasts from fans, players, coaches, management, and a few of my colleagues. While Brazil appears to be the overwhelming favorite for the 2006 tournament, a few went out on a limb got a bit daring. Here you go:

Freddy Adu (DC United) - "Brazil, because of Ronaldinho. He's ridiculous, man. Oh, yeah, Ghana is going to surprise people too."

Bob Rowan (fan and fellow Las Vegas addict) - "I think this is the year the Dutch finally break through and win it. I also really like the Czechs and Croatia to do well."

Kevin Kozal (www.thesoccershow.com) - "Brazil over France in the Final, with the Aussies shaking things up a bit at the group stage."

Tim Holt (Vice President, United Soccer Leagues (USL)) - "Italy, despite all the distractions. They have a great balance between offense and defense, and I think Luca Toni will be the surprise player of the tournament."

Leigh Cowlishaw (Head Coach, Richmond Kickers) - "I'll be boring and say Brazil. I don't see them losing a game. England will also do well."

Brian Carroll (DC United) - "The United States. I want us to do well, and I think they have the talent, the attitude, and the coaching to go far."

Pat Walsh (www.thesoccershow.com, and goal.com) - "Italy 2-0 over Brazil in the Final, with Ivory Coast making the semifinals."

Josh Gros (DC United) - "Brazil. They're just too good not to win it."

Paul Sterbenz (Vice President and General Manager, Richmond Kickers) - "I've got Argentina over Brazil in the Finals. I think Argentina is being overlooked, and they have so many attacking options."

Francisco Marcos (President, USL) - "Brazil...they're 3-deep just about everywhere, and no loss of any player, save Ronaldinho, would make them significantly weaker." (Mr. Marcos also believes his beloved Portugal will do well this time around)

Clyde Simms (DC United) - "Brazil. All you have to do is watch them play and you can see how much better they are than everybody else."

Jesse Myers (Assistant Coach, Richmond Kickers) - "Brazil. My heart says go with the U.S., but I've got to be a realist. That's why you won't see me in Vegas anytime soon."

David Gagner (fan, and one of my former bosses) - "Brazil. I think being in such a weak opening group will allow them to rest key players and be fresh for the knockout rounds."

Alecko Eskandarian (DC United) - "I can't pick 1 team, but I believe this time around it'll be a European team, and it could any 1 of several who could do it."

Craig Stouffer (DC Examiner) - I'm still unsure about picking a winner, but I'll say the U.S. will win Group E. It had to be said."

Ronnie Pascale (Richmond Kickers) - Everybody else is saying Brazil, so I'm going to be different and say Spain. Remember, no team outside of Europe has ever won the Cup when it's been played on European soil."

As for me? Well, you'll just have to wait until Thursday for that. After breaking down each of the 8 groups over the next 2 days, I'll take my best guess as to how the rest of the tournament will turn out.

2 Comments:

At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogosphere Mark! I look forward to your posts and thoughts.

As far as my 2 cents - Argentina Man! The hosts will make a run for it, but La Albiceleste will come out on top.

Kudos dude!

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger D said...

Nice place Mark. Let me add my welcome also, although really you've been around much longer than I have, just not this particular format.

As for me... I'm picking England. But that's because I always root for the team that will cause the most hearbreak when they finally lose. See: Hotspur, Tottenham.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home