Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Mid-Week Musings

This has as much of a chance of happening as United winning Champions League.


Bushman’s still jaunting around the country and I’ve been busier than the Vikings’ beat reporter, so let’s get to this.

- D.C. United just went oh-for-two outside of the country. Didn’t catch the 2-0 loss up in Toronto, but from what I hear it didn’t look pretty. Things weren’t quite so bad last night in Honduras for ten of the players, but it never looked like they were going to get their first win in Champions League action (remember, they tied Firpo twice to get into the group stage again). The first goal was terrrrrible -- even DaMarcus Beasley was shaking his head at Janicki’s attempted clearance. Then Janicki was beaten by Jerry Palacios (anyone else find that an odd name?) for the second, and finished up by committing the foul for the third and final goal from the penalty spot.

- Speaking of United, if Tommy Soehn is brought back he’ll be the first person in D.C. history to coach four years. Arena had just three, followed by Rongen with three, Hudson with two (though the pressers gave us about six years of material), and, prior to Soehn, Nowak with three. Only Hudson and Soehn didn’t win an MLS Cup in their first year. But I’ve always kind of thought of Arena’s first three as George Washington’s precedence of stepping down after two terms. So would that make Soehn United’s FDR? I guess it makes sense given the economic climate.

- Caught Fox Football Fone-In on Monday night for the first time ever. It was really just to see Eric Wynalda and, I’ve gotta say, he’s perfect in that forum. He may not know everything, but he has strong opinions and isn’t scared of taking an opposing view. It won’t be weekly watching for me, but if there’s nothing else on I’m sure I’ll check it out from time to time. Now if FSC would get HD -- that should have been a requirement to show Champions League games in my opinion -- and broadcast games online for free instead of directing us to UEFA’s site where we can watch for $10 per game, I’ll be happy.

- The EPL started with a bang over the weekend. Poor Timmy Howard gave up six to an Arsenal side I was expecting to be battling for a Europa League spot with their lack of depth. If they stay healthy, they’ll certainly give ManU and Chelsea a run. Liverpool is/was my pick to win the league, but I’m not sure after seeing them completely discombobulated without Xabi Alonso. It’s just the one game, but not a promising start for the two Liverpool sides.

Chelsea look stronger than I thought they’d be. The only reason I wouldn’t have picked them to win the league is their ultimate focus on winning Champions League. However, Ancelotti seems to be the right fit and it’ll be tough for any side to shut out the foursome of Anelka, Drogba, Lampard, and who ever it is deflecting Lampard’s shots in.

Manchester United are only going to get better. They have injury concerns w/ van der Saar out for a while, Evans and Rio out of central defense for now, and Gary Neville having been put out to stud on a horse farm. But Wayne Rooney is a menace and somehow can put that team on his diminutive shoulders. I’m just sad I didn’t comment about the Charity Shield and, after he injured his shoulder, ask Nani if he was okay.

- Non-soccer related: I can’t say I’m happy to see the two returning quarterbacks in the NFL. I don’t really care if Favre plays, I just hate the back and forth stroking his own ego. And in doing so went to the Packers’ rivals, well I wouldn’t be surprised to see karma Bernard Pollard him. In words I never thought I’d say or write, I feel bad for Sage Rosenfels.

As for Vick, I think the Eagles are a good spot for him offensively. Put him in with Westbrook (if he’s healthy) and McNabb and it’s gonna be pretty tough for defenses. I just don’t see how he wasn’t suspended more for lying to Arthur Blank and Commissioner Goodell. Yeah, he served his time in federal pound me in the ass prison -- hopefully his roommate was Nasty Nate and the Squirrel Master didn’t come to his rescue -- but he was involved in gambling which, correct me if I’m wrong, is a BIG no no for athletes. Whether it’s the sport you play or not, you can wind up owing the wrong people and it’s all down hill from there. I’m not condoning what Dante Stallworth did by any stretch of the imagination, but it seems like the league gave Vick a relative slap on the wrist compared to Stallworth’s year long suspension after he served his time and was much more remorseful than Vick has ever shown.

- Pat Walsh

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home