Tuesday, July 28, 2009




Yep, it's been awhile since I've posted. My father in the hospital and a vacation after that will do that to ya.' So, the next time you're in Vegas, make sure to play the "Star Trek" slot machine. It paid off quite well for me on multiple occasions. Just passing along some helpful advice.

Okay, onto sports, particularly the Gold Cup fiasco.

In the words of Comic Book Guy: "Worst...Game..Ever!"

It's been 2 days since a superior Mexico squad embarrassed a 2nd-tier U.S. side consisting of no more than 2 or 3 players (at most) who will be on the sidelines in South Africa next year. I think Troy Perkins has done enough to make a serious case to be the 3rd goalkeeper (some would argue even 2nd) on next year's team. Brian Ching was not very good at all and seems too slow for the international game now, but Bradley will take him anyway. Kyle Beckerman did okay, but the U.S. is so deep at that position, would he merely be taking up a roster spot that could be used for depth at another position? Stuart Holden played reasonably well also, but not enough to make the 23-man squad for next year.

Anyway, I watched that match pretty sure the U.S. would lose, but that didn't bother me so much. Jay Heaps played hard but not smart (giving up a penalty kick, getting 2 yellows and the mandatory red) and looked completely out of his element. Davy Arnaud was a waste of space, and Robbie Rogers shanked a shot early in the 2nd half that, had it gone in, completely changed the game (I think Mexico would have become unglued). Heath Pearce had one of the worst games from anyone I've ever seen in a U.S. uniform, and that even includes DaMarcus Beasley's recent debacles... For a guy still searching for a club, he did himself no favors.

What infuriated me was the lack of heart and fight several players on the field showed as the goals mounted up. You know, in rec league, or levels like that, kids and teams DO give up. But you're a professional, playing this sport for a living, and your competitive nature and pride at least should have been on display. On multiple goals, U.S. players watched as El Tri ran past them and peppered a helpless Troy Perkins with shot after shot. Wasn't it interesting that Perkins, unlike most 'keepers, refused to yell and holler at his teammates? Thumbs up to Troy for showing patience in that situation.

It was, simply, an embarrassment, one that I didn't think would ever happen on U.S. soil again. Even with an inferior squad, I thought we would at least put forth a better effort. Don't be mad with the loss, folks, be mad with the lack of grit and hustle seen 99% of the time by a U.S. squad.

Pat has a few things to add about this as well, and I won't steal his thunder...wait to read what he has to say in the next day or so. Some interesting observations from our Irish friend.

Quickly, let me also say this; Max Bretos is the worst commentator in soccer, maybe all of sports. I don't have the time to go into all the dumb things he says, but I haven't talked to a single person who watches FSC that listens to this guy. Stop trying to be a part of the game and merely report on it. I'm not a huge fan of Christopher Sullivan either, but he always brings a calming presence to the booth despite the over-the-top antics of the circus clown next to him...

1 last thing; I'll be checking out for a bit and Pat will take over for a few weeks. This stupid thing called my "real" job has taken over, and I'll be on business for the next 3 weeks. In the meantime, please behave for Pat and treat him the same way you'd treat me...wait a minute, scratch that. Just be nice and keep reading, okay?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home