Monday, July 03, 2006

The Final Four


Hugo Sanchez anxiously awaits word that he has been named the Head Coach for Mexico.



Is it just me or does it feel like this tournament just started yesterday? Time really flies when you're having fun, and these past three and a half weeks have been great! From the feedback and messages I've been getting from some of you, you're enjoying it overall, even though there are 1 or 2 slight problems. It's like that in every Cup.

Slight change in the topic for today. I mentioned on Saturday I was going to rate the top coaching errors of the Cup. I should probably wait for the Cup to end before doing that column, because there's still a chance one of the remaining coaches could pull a "Peckerman." Gee, who do you think I've already got as my #1 bad coach?

Today I'll just breakdown the games for Tuesday and Wednesday, and then offer up some candid observations about this past weekend's activities.

Germany/Italy - This might not be an absolute classic, but it'll be an absolute war. Italy humiliated the Germans 4-1 in an exhibition a few months back, and there was such an outcry in the Fatherland that it almost cost Klinsmann his job. Don't think revenge isn't on his mind or the minds of several players who were in that game. I think the current German team is the one that can give Italy the biggest matchup problems. Germany's 2 big central defenders can physically handle Luca Toni, and their outside backs can put enough pressure on the Italians in midfield and defensively that Lippi's players might be hesitant to fully commit to counterattacks. Klose and Podolski are the best forward combo remaining of the 4 teams, and really seem to be in sync w/ each other. Ballack and Frings will have their hands full on both sides of the ball. On the flipside, Italy has given up 1 goal in this Cup, to the Americans, and it was an own goal. Buffon has proven to be the best 'keeper in the world, and his defenders in front of him have been able to feel free to assist and participate in counters because of the confidence they have in him. Toni finally got on the scoreboard w/ 2 against the Ukraine, but were both essentially tap-ins. I know, they still count as goals, but can he create his own chances and own shot? We haven't seen it yet. Totti has played really well the past few games, and seems to have assumed the leadership role that most feared would be lacking without Nesta on the field. As I said on Saturday, I think this will probably be a slow, methodical, cautious game w/ few real chances to score. This will be a 1-0 game, with the goal probably coming from a long-range shot. If that's the case, you go with the team that has been deadly with those all tournament.

Prediction: Germany 1 - Italy 0

Portugal/France - Has the potential to be a wide-open, high scoring affair, which, if true, would favor the younger and more athletic Portuguese squad. Like I said, potential. Maybe Portugal can stop flailing and diving every five seconds and try to keep the game moving. I've heard from more than person who has grown sick of the antics, with one going so far as to say "I'm no big fan of France, but I sure hope they beat the s*it out of Portugal on Wednesday." Good news, they get Deco back after being suspended for the England game. John Harkes referred to him as one of the more talented midfielders in the world. I don't know if I'd go that far, but his return sure helps take some of the attacking pressure off Cristiano Ronaldo and Luis Figo. Striker Pauleta was predicted by many to be the "Golden Boot" winner (most goals) going into the tournament (including me), but hasn't been dangerous for the past few games. He'll need to step it up against a very underrated French defense. As for France, what can you say? Does Zidane have enough left in the tank to put on a similar display to what we saw against Spain and Brazil? I think so. This is it for him; he'll leave everything on the field in an effort to get another World Cup Title for himself and his country. His game Saturday was probably one of the top individual games I've ever seen by 1 player, he was THAT good. Patrick Vieira is also playing out of his mind at both ends of the field, and Frank Ribery is one of the revelations of the tournament. Thierry Henry seemed a bit more relaxed on Saturday, and it showed as he was dangerous all over the pitch. As for coaching, "Big Phil" is getting all the press for his continued success, but I think Domenach has carved out a niche of respect for his ability to get several aging players to dig deep and come up with the type of effort most of us didn't expect to see. I just don't see Portugal being able to match up with this team at the end of the day, regardless of the style of play. France can play quick when they have to, can slow it down to rest and maintain composure, and pick you apart on set pieces. That'll be enough.

Prediction: France 3 - Portugal 1

Some candid observations before I go:

1.) Thanks to Dave Ungrady, Brian Straus, and the rest of the crew over on XM Satellite Radio's World Cup show last night. The allotted 1/2 hour just flew by, and these guys really know their stuff. They did a great job of plugging this blog, and I've already gotten some comments from people who discovered it after last night's show. Keep up the great work, guys!

2.) What are the odds of Youri Djorkaeff's face being seen at the France/Brazil game on Saturday and beamed across the planet on the worldwide feed when he's supposed to be in France attending to "personal issues?" How many spit-takes do you think happened when New York Red Bulls management saw that?

3.) Eddie Johnson basically disappeared after the U.S.' elimination from the Cup, and didn't show up in Kansas City until 90 minutes before their scheduled kickoff against L.A. on Saturday. Club and country teammates Jimmy Conrad and Josh Wolfe had been back a week, and nobody in Johnson's camp has made any comment about his absence. As one source close to his former club, FC Dallas, told me, "now do you understand why they couldn't wait to get rid of him?" When you're obviously tougher to deal with than Carlos "I want to skip the MLS All-Star Game so I can attend a Hooters opening in Guatemala" Ruiz, that's not a good thing...
4.) Nice to see that Landon Donovan can at least score in MLS games.

I'll be back Thursday for my review of the semis. Enjoy and thanks for all the feedback!



2 Comments:

At 10:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess Eddie believes Bruce. He's wasting his time in MLS. Maybe Eddie needs to talk to Alexi Lalas. However I did see he played with the reserves. Maybe he and Clint can be room-mates in Europe on their next team.

After seeing Landon coming home to score 2 goals I was sick.

What you think Mark? Do Eddie and Clint go across the pond?

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Bushman said...

I think they both do, maybe Dempsey before Johnson because of recent form on the World stage.

Dempsey seems to be going about it the right way. I don't think Johnson or his agent did him any favors w/ the stunt they pulled.

I think they'll both be gone by September, but that's just my opinion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home